It can be argued that reading is the most important subject in school. Without a strong foundation in reading, children will struggle in all aspects of school. Whether they are struggling to understand a mathematical problem, struggling with fluency and comprehension, or are simply looking for further enrichment from the books they read, Nourishing Minds Tutoring can help.
We will help your child understand the key concepts of developing language skills: phonics, vocabulary, comprehension, decoding, and fluency, but most importantly develop a love of books and desire to read.
We ensure that all of the learning standards are addressed from the Common Core State Standards on reading. We use only high quality, inspirational texts to motivate children and help them succeed.
“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more you learn, the more places you’ll go.” — Dr. Seuss
Writing is an area that often frustrates children. “I don’t know what to write. I don’t know where to start. How do I spell this word?” These are all common questions asked by children when faced with a writing task.
Nourishing Minds Tutoring uses a unique approach in its writing programs. The development of sentence structure, grammar, spelling, and punctuation, and the intended audience are all key components of the writing process. These will be developed using a range of high quality books to engage our learners and help teach the writing process across all the different genres required by the Common Core State Standards. Not only do children improve their ability to write, but they also develop critical thinking skills, and promote their reading skills at the same time.
Please contact us for more information.
“The most important thing about writing is to read as much as you can. It will give you an understanding of what makes good writing and it will enlarge your vocabulary.” – J.K. Rowling
Without a doubt, math can quickly become one of the most frustrating and depressing subjects for children, even for those who appear to be doing quite well. For many it has always been the belief that you are either good at math or you are not. Nourishing Minds Tutoring believes in reshaping these beliefs and building new attitudes to math. We will take existing frustrations and develop a confidence you once believed impossible. And believe it or not, the Common Core State Standards can help. The benefit to the Common Core is that it teaches various ways to understand math concepts and year after year the standards build on from each other. Herein lies the problem. If your child struggles with one concept the problem is compounded over and over again.
Nourishing Minds Tutoring is aligned to the Common Core State Standards and helps children understand the math that they are doing. It is simply not good enough to memorize a concept, this is why children struggle. Whenever possible, we will bring math learning alive by having children complete hands-on, practical, engaging tasks, rather than completing worksheet after worksheet.
“If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then 9 times out of ten it will.” – Paul Harvey
- My daughter Gabriella has been home tutoring with Nourishing Minds Tutoring now for two years. The staff and teachers with Nourishing Minds are exceptional! My daughter’s comprehension, confidence and even work ethic has been built strategically since the very beginning. The results thus far are still flourishing. We continue to keep Nourishing Minds Tutoring in Gabriella’s life moving forward, as a maintenance and partnership for the changing times in curriculum ahead.
We are so grateful for all that is offered to my daughter, and us as a family, alleviating many frustrations that come with academic achievement.
–Jenn, Schenectady NY
- Nourishing Minds has bridged the gap for our son from scoring below grade levels to getting on the path of meeting an exceeding! Nourishing Minds quickly identified our son's deficiencies as well as identified his strengths to determine the best course of action for his progression. His tutor, Chris, has been able to identify with Silvio's personality with the utmost of ease and has individualized his path to success on a par with Silvio's in school lessons. Chris comes to our house, spends an hour or more with our son, working tirelessly on strategies to help him succeed. Chris leaves each week after a comprehensive explanation of their work and goals moving forward. I could think of no better stepping stone to give your child a head above the rest!
–Nancy, Clifton Park
- Nourishing Minds has been tutoring our son for over a year and a half now. We have seen great improvement in our son’s writing and comprehension skills. His grades and confidence have also improved. Our son’s tutor gears his tutoring to incorporate our son’s interests which is a great help in keeping him focused. Nourishing Minds Tutoring is very easy to work with. They are flexible and always prepared. This is our first experience with a tutor and it has been a very positive one. We would highly recommend Nourishing Minds Tutoring.
–Janine, Milton NY
- Nourishing Minds Tutoring has been tutoring our son since 2015. It has been a great experience for him and for us.
My son is currently attending third grade. He has major attention challenges and finds it very hard to stay on task. Despite that, his tutor has been able to bond with him and motivate him to focus . He utilizes many creative and unique teaching techniques that have helped our son a great deal. He enjoys the sessions and his grades have improved significantly.
We highly recommend Nourishing Minds Tutoring.
–Dina, Clifton Park NY
- Chris of Nourishing Minds Tutoring has been working with my eight-year-old daughter in math for several months. In that time, we have seen an incredible improvement in her test scores and her confidence. Chris is patient and kind, yet knows when to be firm and encourage my daughter to overcome her hesitation when answering math problems.
The work that Chris did with our daughter over the summer also prepared her for what would be taught at the beginning of the 3rd grade. She started the year feeling confident and unafraid of new concepts, such as multiplication, and has been bringing home A’s on her math tests for the first time. I highly recommend Nourishing Minds Tutoring!
–Kim, Gansevoort NY